Monday, June 18, 2012

hola!

Tonight i've decided to stir up the pot a lil bit and change my blogging technique.  Instead of informing you on my days events, which have been pretty atypical, I am going to tell you a little bit about my host family, the Chiavarros.  Disclaimer: this may be boring to some, but as I begin my last week in Cordoba, I am beginning to realize how lucky I am to have such a wonderful host family.  They've provided me with such a warm and accepting environment these past 4 weeks, and have taught me so much about Argentinian culture and the importance of family.  In my house, there are 5 exchange students, Mamá (Adriana) y Pepe (José).  I'll start with the latter...Pepe.  I can honestly say I have never met someone with such a big heart in my life.  Ironically, he had heart surgery 9 years ago, which he not only survived but thrived.  He is incredibly nice, and has an ample amount of love for life, and most importantly, his family.  His face lights up every time anyone in his family comes over, and his love for his youngest granddaughter, Laurianna (2), is truly one of a kind.  During dinner, she'll sit on his lap and say, "Pepe, me amo!" and recite a short poem who's last line translates to "if I didn't have you in my life, I would be lost forever."  His love doesn't just end with his immediate family, but also extends to all the students the Chiavarros have hosted in their house throughout the years.  I believe they have had around 60 students in total, and I get the impression that they are known as one of the best families in the program.  So for that, I am eternally grateful.  Although it's custom of the culture, every time we enter the room, Pepe (and Mamá) give us a big kiss on the cheek and a hug, and immediately ask "How was your day? I hope it was beautiful."  He can go on for hours about my "hermanos", Neil and Maxúm, and loves reciting the few lines of english he knows.  They consist of: Very Good, Very Good (berry good, berry good), Thank you very much (tank you berry much), and his all time favorite: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.  I hope to take home with me some of Pepe's contagious spirit and love of life.

Mamá is a very strong, powerful woman who does not mind telling people the way she believes things should be run, especially around the house.  Her job has always been taking care of others, whether it's her own family or her exchange students.  What I admire most about her is power to overcome tragedy, by focusing on the good in life, instead of dwelling on the bad.  I have learned about her family briefly, but tonight we spent about an hour talking after dinner.  This kind of conversation is what I love to refer to as "real life" and I believe that these experiences are the most important way to learn and grow.  In the span of 1 year, Mamá lost her father, her youngest sister, and her only brother.  At the age of 33, when her sister was 6 months pregnant, she complained about having heart pains.  Her heart was failing, and the stress of the baby only added to the problem.  After her birth, the doctors discovered that the baby's aorta was not functioning correctly (completely unrelated to the mom's issue) and sadly, the baby died 12 days later.  Her sisters illness worsened, and she spent most of her time in the hospital awaiting a transplant.  She was a small woman, so she could only accept a heart from someone who was an adolescent or child.  One day while waiting at the hospital while her sister underwent therapy, Mamá was trying to cheer up her father, who was becoming increasingly sad about his youngest daughter's illness.  While in the waiting room at a hospital in Buenos Aires, Mamá spotted the famous Dr. Rene Favaloro, who had been the first doctor to ever perform heart bypass surgery. Mamá recognized him immediately, and she flagged him down. She told the receptionist about her sister, and that her Aunt had been friends with the sisters of Eva Duarte (the first lady of Argentina in the 1940s) who Dr. Favaloro had had as his patients.  This caught his attention, and he sat down with Mamá and her father, while she told him how her father was losing hope in his daughter's illness.  He told them. "Nunca pierdan la fe" which means "never lose faith."  At this point in the story, Mamá was crying and I was taken aback by how incredible her story is.  Her sister received a transplant, and recovered physically by not emotionally, because 3 months later her father passed away.  Meanwhile, her brother was suffering as well from Leukemia, and battling the depression that was brought upon by his father's death.  After a few months, he passed away, and the sister could not overcome the pain, and died in November from anorexia.  It's a horribly depressing story, but Mamá finished by telling me about how despite all the obstacles she has faced in her life, she has overcome them thanks to the love she has for her family.  She said (in spanish obviously) "I don't need money to be happy.  Just the love of my children, family, friends, and you guys."

After this talk with Mamá it made me so thankful to be able to stay with the Chiavarro's during my time in Argentina.  The trip has been amazing in so many ways, and I think their hospitality has had the most significant impact on my experience.  And obviously, made me miss my amazing family at home and my friends.  I miss everyone but don't you worry, this chick will be back and in your face before you know it.  So enjoy the quiet while you can.  Buenos noches!

love,
kris

No comments:

Post a Comment